Home Hacker
Simple hacking to make your life easier!
-------------------------------------------
If you like what you see please
subscribe!!!
-------------------------------------------

FIX Missing or Corrupt HAL.DLL

Category: , , , , , Written by Andrew

Every Windows user has had it. On startup your heart drops. A fatal error. Your computer's screen is all black except for the letters. Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\System32\Hal.dll . Luckily here is how you fix this problem!

First Missing or Corrupt HAL.DLL,

This happens to most people. You can't start your computer because its says missing or corrupt HAL.DLL.
The easiest way to fix this is to press F8 between the BIOS (for non-technical people- the BIOS is usually the company logo that happen right after you turn on the computer) and the Windows XP logo.
You will be presented with a menu. Choose the Last Good Boot Configuration or something like that. That (obviously) will start the last successful startup. But sometimes this fails. That's when you have to goto Plan B

Plan B
(You will need the Windows XP recovery console. This is only included a version of Windows that you bought. In won't be in yours if your computer came with XP preinstalled. To then get the console go here.

1. Insert your Windows XP cd. and restart your computer.
2. Your computer should start from the cd if it doesn't then I am goin to write a post on how to make it.
3. Within the Windows XP menu press R and your administative password is usually nothing so press enter when it asks you for that.
4. If you only have XP installed on your computer then type fixmbr and say yes to everything. Reboot and your DONE! If you have many OSes installed (i have three) than type copy boot.ini boot.backup (if file cannot be found then ignore it and continue). Then goto step 4 WARNING: You will get the same error if XP is not on the 1st partition. After step 4 you can reinstall GRUB if you use it and add more entries into your MBR with this.
Or if you use XP bootloader than you can open boot.backup with notepad (if you have boot.backup) and copy everything from there to boot.ini. But I recommand using the software.

Lastly, if none of these work then you have to copy Hal.dll from someones computer to yours. DONT SEARCH HAL.DLL ON GOOGLE!! You are kind of on your own on this. The way how I did it was I have Vista and XP installed and I went into vista and copied Hal.dll from my RECOVERY CD not Vista's Hal.dll and replaced it. Save the dead one. And after a couple of boots put the old Hal.dll back in!
Hope I helped!
- Andrew

 

4 comments so far.

  1. Joe April 20, 2009 at 1:29 AM
    I was trying to erase the internet temp files I it erased the whole thing, then computer was asking for windows xp sp1 cd which I don't have, after a while said Missing or Corrupt Hal.Dll. I followed your steps below & could not do it I burned the cd with console inserted it turned it on & nothing same black screen appears & can do nothing I was trying to recover some stuff I had but if is too difficult to do I have windows Xp professional with sp2 but I can't do anything with that black screen. If you can show me what to do I would appreciate it. My E-mail is joehdez2003@yahoo.com Thanks Joe H.
    Okay,
    This is funny because I just wrote an article about this in my blog.

    First the easy way. Just after the company logo or BIOS ends and before XP start press F8. Then choose Last Good Known Configuration and your computer should start. If it doesn't then try this.

    1) YOU CANT FIX THIS WITH THE GATEWAY RESTORE DISC. You need the Windows XP disc which didn't come with your computer. U need this disc because it has the recovery console on it. You CAN download the recovery console http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/tools/bo...
    2) Download and unzip this. Then burn it to a CD.
    3)Place the CD in the dead computer and restart it.
    You should be welcomed by a blue screen. Press R then the Recovery Console should start. Press 1 then enter if you don't have an administrative password.
    4)Now you should have a command prompt type thing.
    5)type fixmbr and hit enter
    6)type bootcfg /rebuild and hit enter
    7)type exit, hit enter, and restart the computer and it should be fix.
    If this doesn't work contact my at majasticmoose@gmail.com, this answer comes from my article I wrote here -->
    http://homehacker.blogspot.com/2008/02/f...

    - Andrew
    http://homehacker.blogspot.com
    Source(s):
    http://homehacker.blogspot.com/2008/02/f...
    1 year ago
  2. oneyed November 11, 2011 at 8:24 PM
    I can't unzip file. How do you upzip a file, my adobe won't do it.



    shoehornjj2@gmail.com I am in the same boat as joe black screen with need system 32 on it. Help
  3. oneyed November 11, 2011 at 8:28 PM
    I am in the same boat only I don't know how to unzip the recovery console. please help!!!


    Thanks, SHOEHORN
  4. Anonymous December 6, 2011 at 2:26 PM
    I replaced the hard drive and I still can't get it to work but it dosen't say anything about a corrupt hal dll anymore but still no blue screen, I give up, time for a new laptop but I will NEVER buy a gateway ever again, Thanks guys, Jon

Something to say?